Krakauer Upright in Mahogany
Krakauer Brothers was founded in 1869 by Simon Krakauer and his son David in New York City. Krakauer was well known for building superior quality pianos in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. In fact, common thought amoung rebuilders today is that Krakauer pianos were built as well as top brand names like Steinway and Chickering because it is evident that a great deal of thought and effort went into their design and construction. This particular piano had such a great singing bass we just had to put some work and time into it. We’ve replaced the hammers and hammer butts and refinished the piano to bring back it’s looks. Come see why we were so impressed by giving it a play today.
In 1917 Krakauer incorporated the Madison Piano Company, building Madison brand of pianos for several decades. Because of their superior quality among discriminating pianists, Krakauer Brothers was one of the few American Piano Companies to survive the Great Depression without being absorbed into a larger conglomerate like Aeolian-American, etc. Krakauer continued to build pianos until 1980 when it was sold to the Kimball Piano Company, although Kimball did produce the Krakauer name for a few years before Kimball went out of business in the late 1980s. Krakauer pianos are always some of the most solid constructed pianos we see coming through our shop and we always hold onto them for restoration.