The Schubert Piano Company was established in New York City in 1880 by Mr. Peter Duffy. The company had a well-deserved reputation for making high quality pianos with very detailed ornamental design. By the early 20th century, Schubert upright, player and baby grand pianos were one of the most sought out by well known America musicians as well as New York affluent musical performers and patrons. The Schubert Piano Company was purchased by The Lester Piano Company
in 1932. Lester continued to build pianos under the Schubert brand name until 1937.